[06/11/2014 @ 9:05 PM] This fare was last seen here: Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire.
[06/16/2014 @ 11:25 AM] United / Aegean still valid – 100% accrual. Turkish also doing $690 0% accrual, but will give you a stopover in Istanbul if you want it.
[10/06/2014 @ 11:56 PM] Added to “Flight deals that look cheap, but aren’t worth posting about”.
This route has been added to the [Flight deals that look cheap, but aren’t worth posting about] list. Only expect a notification if this route prices under $690 on a mileage accruing route.
United is rocking it with the cheap flights tonight. Thessaloniki is the second largest city in Greece and offers a lot of opportunity to visit the surrounding region. Easy access to Istanbul to the east, or Athens to the south. Both of those other cities are about the same distance from Thessaloniki as Houston is to South Padre.
Codeshare flights on Lufthansa will not earn miles for their segment. Keep this in mind if you’re going after miles.
Flights from Houston (IAH) to Thessaloniki, Greece (SKG) are $740 for a round-trip with either one or two stops. There are some cheaper fares available if you can handle a long layover of 10+ hours. There was no stopover component found in the fare basis rules.
Note: Turkish is flying this route for $690 on tickets that have 0% mileage accrual but have a nice stopover component (1 free and 1 for 50 EURO). If earning points is not important to you or you want to be able to add extra destinations to your itinerary, then take a look at the Turkish flights with fare basis code “WV33XPC”. Actually, now that I’ve looked at this a bit more in detail. I would rather skip the miles and points and do the fare that has a free stopover component. Also keep in mind that Turkish is ranked in the top 10 best airlines in the world on SkyTrax, so you will probably be getting a better travel experience on these long-haul flights than if you were to pay more for Untied / Aegean / Lufthansa.
Note: To maximize mileage accrual, avoid segments on Lufthansa, and instead try to fly your segments on Aegean or United.
There is an itinerary idea that is using the Turkish WW33XPC fare here: [Ideas: Houston to Istanbul and Milan and Rome for $779 + $49 rail?]
- Availability: Lots of availability. Mostly starting at the end of October until the start of December.
- Documentation: NO Visa requirement for US Citizens.
- Departure and Destination Airports: IAH – SKG
- Example Dates: (expedia) Feb 25 – Mar 04
- Carrier: Aegean / Air Canada / Lufthansa
- Fare Basis Code: KKNC5NS
- Fare Class: K
- Mile Accrual: United 100%, Air Canada 100% – 25%, Lufthansa 0%.
- Stopover component: none.
- CPM: 6.14 (12381 miles)
- Full Route: iah – fra – skg – muc – yyz – iah
- Open this itinerary on: Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire.
- Link to CheapTickets.com coupon code page – Check this page on Cheaptickets.com to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Travelocity coupon code page – Check this page on Travelocity to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Orbitz coupon code page – Check this page on Orbitz to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
Our Affiliate Links:
This site receives referral credit when you use links on our page to open our affiliate’s page. By using our affiliate links when you begin your airfare or hotel search, you are supporting this site. Thanks.
- Airfare + Hotel: Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, CheapTickets.com, Expedia, Hotwire
- Airlines: Iberia, AirFrance, Hawaiian Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLM
- Hotel Search: TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, HotelsCombined.com
- Travel Guides and Accessories: Lonely Planet
Other Useful Links:
- [Bookable Deals] – list all the other great travel deals that are still alive and bookable.
- [Budget Travel] – list all the posts that deal with Budget Travel (filter out all the airfare posts)
Links to our sister publications:
- [Cheap DFW] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Dallas / Ft. Worth (DFW / DAL).
- [Escape ATX] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Austin (AUS) and San Antonio (SAT).
- [Escape Flights] – Airfare and travel deals departing from New York (EWR / JFK / LGA), Los Angeles (LAX / SNA / BUR / LGB / ONT), Chicago (ORD / MDW), Milwaukee (MKE), Seattle (SEA), and Portland (PDX).