[06/25/2014 @ 2:25 PM] Open this itinerary here: Orbitz.
[07/01/2014 @ 9:40 AM] Orbitz link now points to different dates, as original dates used in this post are now more expensive.
[08/31/2014 @ 12:23 AM] Removed from deal list. Will re-add when I’m able to find a similar fare with similar components.
NOTE: This is an OLD post, but it’s still useful as an example of how Stopovers work.
Today I noticed that the fare that I used to construct the example itinerary in a previous post [How to find free stopovers on low cost airfare] was still active and available, so I’m going to break that out into its own post because I really love free stopovers. So consider this: It currently costs about $1185 to fly round-trip from Houston (IAH) to Amsterdam (AMS). If you’re going to do that, you may as well put that fare to work. Instead, you could fly from Houston to Amsterdam and spend a few days (or more) there, then to Mumbai (Bombay) India to do the same, then to Paris to spend some more time and then back home for less than the cost of the round-trip itinerary.
Here is the proposed itinerary: (available here: Orbitz)
- Flight 1: Fri. Sep. 5, Houston, TX (IAH) to Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)
- Flight 2: Wed. Sep. 10, Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) to Mumbai, India (BOM)
- Flight 3: Wed. Sep. 17, Mumbai, India (BOM) to Paris, France (PAR)
- Flight 4: Wed. Sep. 24, Paris, France (PAR) to Houston, TX (IAH)
If you want to know more about how this itinerary was created, you should read the post mentioned earlier. It goes through everything.
Ready to start planning? WikiTravel is a good place to start:
Relevant Coupon Codes for Travel:
- Orbitz.com: LINK TO COUPON CODE: Save 15% to 20% Hotels. On Orbitz, scroll page to “Today’s Top Deals” for the coupon-code.
- CheapTickets.com: LINK TO COUPON CODE: Save 15% to 20% Hotels.
- Southwest Vacations: LINK TO COUPON CODES:Various coupons for Southwest Flight+Hotel packages.
- Availability: Lots of availability. Mostly in September and October.
- Documentation: Visa required for India. Details: [US State Department: India]
- Departure and Destination Airports: IAH – BOM
- Example Dates: See itinerary details in post.
- Carrier: Delta / KLM
- Fare Basis Code: VLPR1US
- Fare Class: V
- Mile Accrual: 100%
- Stopover component: four. one free, three for $100.
- CPM: 5.63
- Full Route: iah – ams – bom – cdg – iah
- Open this itinerary on: Orbitz
TripAdvisor is a great resource for Hotel reviews:
Other great itinerary ideas:
- Ideas: Houston to Tokyo – Kyoto – Osaka – Jakarta – Singapore $1258 + $148 rail
- Ideas: Houston to Istanbul and Milan and Rome for $779 + $49 rail?
- Itinerary Ideas: Visit both Manila (MNL) and Tokyo (NRT) for $1101
Our Affiliate Links:
This site receives referral credit when you use links on our page to open our affiliate’s page. By using our affiliate links when you begin your airfare or hotel search, you are supporting this site. Thanks.
- Airfare + Hotel: Priceline, Travelocity, Bookingbuddy, Orbitz, CheapTickets.com, Southwest Vacations, Expedia, Hotwire
- Airlines: Iberia, AirFrance, Hawaiian Airlines, Lufthansa, TACA, Swiss, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLM
- Hotel Search: TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, HotelsCombined.com
- Travel Guides and Accessories: Lonely Planet
Other Useful Links:
- [Bookable Deals] – list all the other great travel deals that are still alive and bookable.
- [Budget Travel] – list all the posts that deal with Budget Travel (filter out all the airfare posts)
- [Escape Houston on Twitter] – get real time tweets on travel deals such as this one.
- [Subscribe to Escape Houston] – get an e-mail newsletter and notification whenever a new flight deal is posted.
- [Follow Escape Houston on Facebook] – the best way to keep in touch with us, other than this blog.
- [Follow Escape Houston on Google+] – If you are on Google+ please add us to your circle. We have virtually no following there.