[07/16/2014 @ 1:40 AM] Open this itinerary here:
[07/28/2014 @ 12:12 PM] United is matching, they allow two stopovers on fare.
[08/18/2014 @ 12:40 PM] Korean Air no longer offering this. United has next best fare at $910.
[09/28/2014 @ 4:15 PM] Cathay Pacific has a route pairing with Korean Air that is about $270 less than normal. (Was $893)
[10/02/2014 @ 4:36 PM] Removed. Doesn’t look bookable anymore.
This route is in [Flight deals that look cheap, but aren’t worth posting about]. Please read that post for an explanation on why this page isn’t actively updated.
UPDATE: If you don’t mind grueling layovers with 20 to 40 hours of total travel time each direction and multiple stops, it is possible to book this for $631 on Orbitz at the moment. You must select “Narrow my search to my preferred airlines.” and choose “Korean Air” and “Cathay Pacific” for your two airlines.
- A working example is available here: Orbitz. (Be sure to pick the departure with the shortest travel time, not the one near the top.)
Also, you could in theory pay $100 for each layover you convert into a stopover to turn this into a decent multi-city itinerary (Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong) for about +$200 more.
- An example of that itinerary is here: Orbitz.
Additional working example dates are located in the Flight Details section below.
Korean Air is offering inexpensive airfare from Houston (IAH) to Singapore (SIN) via Incheon (ICN). Round-trip fare is $631. Mileage accrual is 70% if you use your Korean Air SkyPass account. There is no mileage accrual on this fare if you use your Delta SkyMiles account.
The fare has the following stopover component:
- UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT AT USD 100.00 EACH.
“Unlimited” stopovers are generally limited by routing rules, but this is a good way to visit both Singapore and Seoul with a multi-destination itinerary.
If you are not familiar with how stopovers work, it’s time to catch up. Start here: [How to use stopover rules when buying airfare].
To those of you that may have an objection to not earning miles, consider this: Korean Air’s Economy travel product offers more legroom, better service, and a better international hub than United or Delta. Doing a multi-destination itinerary with both Singapore (SIN) and Seoul (ICN) is about $500 cheaper than the next cheapest fare and it can do it with less stops. To get a comparable seat on United with the same 34 inch pitch as the Korean Air Economy seat you would have to spend an additional $430 for “Economy Plus” seating in addition to the $50 difference in fare cost. Basically, with the Korean Air fare you give up some mileage accrual, but in exchange you get a better travel product. If you’re not obsessed with mile accrual this may appeal to you.
- Documentation: Just your passport. More details: US State Department: Singapore.
- Departure and Destination Airports: IAH – SIN
- Example Dates: Oct 15 – Oct 22 / Oct 19 – Oct 26 / Oct 19 – Nov 1 / Nov 16 – Nov 28
- Carrier: Korean Air – KE
- Fare Basis Code: QLX45BSP
- Fare Class: Q
- Mile Accrual: 70% Korean Air / (0% Delta)
- Stopover component: unlimited, $100 each.
- CPM: 4.51 (19874 miles) (13912 miles accruing at 70% give a 6.44 CPM) [This calculation is old. I’ll fix it later]
- Full Route: IAH – ICN – HKG – SIN – HKG – ICN – IAH
- Open this itinerary on:
TripAdvisor is a good resource for Hotel reviews:
- Link to CheapTickets.com coupon code page – Check this page on Cheaptickets.com to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Travelocity coupon code page – Check this page on Travelocity to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Orbitz coupon code page – Check this page on Orbitz to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
Our Affiliate Links:
This site receives referral credit when you use links on our page to open our affiliate’s page. By using our affiliate links when you begin your airfare or hotel search, you are supporting this site. Thanks.
- Airfare + Hotel: Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, CheapTickets.com, Expedia, Hotwire
- Airlines: Iberia, AirFrance, Hawaiian Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLM
- Hotel Search: TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, HotelsCombined.com
- Travel Guides and Accessories: Lonely Planet
Other Useful Links:
- [Bookable Deals] – list all the other great travel deals that are still alive and bookable.
- [Budget Travel] – list all the posts that deal with Budget Travel (filter out all the airfare posts)
Links to our sister publications:
- [Cheap DFW] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Dallas / Ft. Worth (DFW / DAL).
- [Escape ATX] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Austin (AUS) and San Antonio (SAT).
- [Escape Flights] – Airfare and travel deals departing from New York (EWR / JFK / LGA), Los Angeles (LAX / SNA / BUR / LGB / ONT), Chicago (ORD / MDW), Milwaukee (MKE), Seattle (SEA), and Portland (PDX).