[07/24/2014 @ 5:31 PM] Open this itinerary here:
[07/24/2014 @ 5:00 PM] If you find a lower price than Orbitz, you should use their Best price Guarantee. Doing so should earn you the difference plus +$50 to $200 dollars in Orbucks credits.
Update: I don’t think Orbitz will honor this. From what I can tell, the reason why the price is $7 higher on Orbitz than American Airlines is that Orbitz charges a fee for mixed airline itineraries. It also explains why this fare isn’t bookable on American Airlines’ website without some massaging via Google Flights.
In this case, Orbitz “Best Price Guarantee” is a total sham because the fine print says that “Price difference cannot be due to taxes, fees, or a change in or use of a different foreign exchange rate.”
Which begs the question, just what in the world is Orbitz Best Price Guarantee good for? I plan to research this more, but it doesn’t look like we’ll be able to take advantage of Orbitz “Best Price Guarantee” for this.
I was doing some routine updates to a few older posts when I noticed that the price on Orbitz for the Houston (IAH) to Grand Cayman (GCM) flight was a bit higher than the flight being offered on American Airlines. I believe that this would make for a valid claim on Orbitz’s “Best price Guarantee”.
What this means is that you should be eligible for a credit of $50 to $200 dollars if you book your flight on Orbitz, and then provide a link to the same flight, same booking class, and dates being offered elsewhere for $5 or more cheaper.
I’ve updated the original post to have both the Orbitz fare, and the cheaper fare (by $7) on American Airlines, you can get to it here: [Cheap Flights: Houston to Grand Cayman $228 r/t 1-stop].
The amount of credit is determined by your Orbucks membership level, most of you will be “Silver” which means that you will receive a $100 credit if they honor their best price guarantee. More details on how this program works is on the Orbitz website here: Best price Guarantee.
In the best case scenario of $200 credit, your flight to GCM would basically be about $20, virtually free.
Here’s the tricky part, I wasn’t able to search for the discounted rate directly on American Airlines. Attempting to do so would pull up more-expensive fare codes. I was able to pull it up by using Google Flights which then would link to the American Airlines fare. The Google Flights search I used is here: [Google Flights], which brought me to the American Airlines page here: [American Airlines]. The Orbitz page with the slightly higher fare is here: [Orbitz].
I’m not sure how long this price difference will last, and I’m not sure if Orbitz will honor this. If you see any mistakes in this post, let me know. Also, if you book, and this works out for you please let me know.
- Link to CheapTickets.com coupon code page – Check this page on Cheaptickets.com to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Travelocity coupon code page – Check this page on Travelocity to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Orbitz coupon code page – Check this page on Orbitz to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Hotels.com coupon code page – Check this page on Hotels.com to save about 10% on your next Hotel booking.
Our Affiliate Links:
This site receives referral credit when you use links on our page to open our affiliate’s page. By using our affiliate links when you begin your airfare or hotel search, you are supporting this site. Thanks.
- Airfare + Hotel: Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, CheapTickets.com, Southwest Vacations, Expedia, Hotwire
- Airlines: Iberia, AirFrance, Hawaiian Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLM
- Hotel Search: TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, HotelsCombined.com
- Travel Guides and Accessories: Lonely Planet
Other Useful Links:
- [Bookable Deals] – list all the other great travel deals that are still alive and bookable.
- [Budget Travel] – list all the posts that deal with Budget Travel (filter out all the airfare posts)
Links to our sister publications:
- [Cheap DFW] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Dallas / Ft. Worth (DFW / DAL).
- [Escape ATX] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Austin (AUS) and San Antonio (SAT).
- [Escape Flights] – Airfare and travel deals departing from New York (EWR/JFK/LGA), Los Angeles (LAX/SNA/BUR/LGB/ONT), Chicago (ORD/MDW), Milwaukee (MKE), Seattle (SEA), and Portland (PDX).