Santo Domingo is on sale. US Airways has flights from Houston (IAH) to Santo Domingo, Domincan Republic (SDQ) for $278, round-trip. Flights have a layover in Miami (MIA). Note the layover time, short layovers are available but the cheapest flights have an overnight stopover in Miami (MIA). Note: US Airways seems to price this higher than Orbitz for some reason.
Hotel prices in Santo Domingo are cheap. Hotel Villa Colonial is currently going for $102 for the September dates used in the example flight itinerary. It’s rated #1 of 76 hotels in Santo Domingo. If you’re wanting to go even cheaper, check out Casa Naemie for $64.
If you’re wanting to hit a beach on the island then Santo Domingo may not be the best destination for you. The beaches near Santo Domingo are supposedly not very good. You could head east to Punta Cana to hit the beaches there, but getting there from Santo Domingo may be a pain. It’s 2-and-a-half hours by car from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana.
(Per WikiTravel) Advice to potential (car) renters: Gasoline costs around US$ 5 per gallon here and people drive fast and furious, breaking every imaginable rule. It might be safer and cheaper to develop a friendship with a cab driver who will gladly become your personal driver, tourguide and concierge for a day rate equal to a fraction of what it would cost you to rent, insure and gas up a rental. There are many “one-way” roads that are not marked and signage is very poor all-around.
- Link to CheapTickets.com coupon code page – Check this page on Cheaptickets.com to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Travelocity coupon code page – Check this page on Travelocity to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Orbitz coupon code page – Check this page on Orbitz to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Hotels.com coupon code page – Check this page on Hotels.com to save about 10% on your next Hotel booking.
- Availability: Lots, almost any day available for departure / return until mid-2015.
- Documentation: Passport Required. Pay $10 for Tourist card, or get a Visa. More details: US State Department: Dominican Republic
- Departure and Destination Airports: IAH – SDQ
- Example Dates: September 4 – September 9
- Carrier: US Airways or American
- Fare Basis Code: UNE0B1O1
- Fare Class: U
- Mile Accrual: 100%
- Stopover component: one free in MIA/NYC/CHI/DFW/LAX.
- CPM: 7.7 (3624 miles)
- Full Route: IAH – MIA – SDQ – MIA – IAH
- Open this itinerary on:
Expedia, Orbitz, US Airways
Our Affiliate Links:
This site receives referral credit when you use links on our page to open our affiliate’s page. By using our affiliate links when you begin your airfare or hotel search, you are supporting this site. Thanks.
- Airfare + Hotel: Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, CheapTickets.com, Southwest Vacations, Expedia, Hotwire
- Airlines: Iberia, AirFrance, Hawaiian Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLM
- Hotel Search: TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, HotelsCombined.com
- Travel Guides and Accessories: Lonely Planet
Other Useful Links:
- [Bookable Deals] – list all the other great travel deals that are still alive and bookable.
- [Budget Travel] – list all the posts that deal with Budget Travel (filter out all the airfare posts)
Links to our sister publications:
- [Cheap DFW] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Dallas / Ft. Worth (DFW / DAL).
- [Escape ATX] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Austin (AUS) and San Antonio (SAT).
- [Escape Flights] – Airfare and travel deals departing from New York (EWR/JFK/LGA), Los Angeles (LAX/SNA/BUR/LGB/ONT), Chicago (ORD/MDW), Milwaukee (MKE), Seattle (SEA), and Portland (PDX).