[08/05/2014 @ 9:12 AM] This fare was last seen here: TripAdvisor Flights.
[08/07/2014 @ 1:09 AM] United sale has ended, but KLM / Delta / Turkish still offer the sale. 🙂
[08/11/2014 @ 4:55 PM] Delta / KLM have ended their sale. Only Turkish offers decent airfare now for $783 (no accrual).
Nonstop, round-trip airfare from Houston (IAH) to Amsterdam (AMS) are on sale right now from multiple airlines for $856. United and its Star Alliance partner Lufthansa have once again gotten into a bidding war with Delta and its Skyteam partners KLM and Air France. Turkish Airways is also offering discount airfare. Some of you may remember this happening a few months ago.
Note: United’s European airfare sale will end tomorrow. TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 06 AUG 14.
Some of the routes have good stopover components; United allows a free stopover in New York and Turkish allows for a free stopover in Istanbul.
The “WV33XPC” Turkish fare basis code is the same fare code I used to construct the itinerary for: [Ideas: Houston to Istanbul and Milan and Rome for $779 + $49 rail?] and [Flights: Houston (IAH) to Thessaloniki, Greece (SKG) $760 r/t 2-stops]. Keep in mind that the “W” booking class for Turkish has 0% accrual.
There are several good options here, but the United flight looks like the way to go, it allows a free stopover in New York (NYC). The KLM flight has no stopover component at all and The Turkish flight has an awesome free stopover in Istanbul (IST) and is cheaper, but it doesn’t accrue miles. It should go without saying, but if you really want Amsterdam with a slice of Istanbul, you should definitely go with the Turkish flight and not worry too much about the miles; the cheaper fare will offset that loss some.
The example itinerary here is just a round-trip without the free stopover. If you want to hang out in both New Amsterdam and Old Amsterdam just modify your itinerary to stay more than a day in New York.
- Link to CheapTickets.com coupon code page – Check this page on Cheaptickets.com to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Travelocity coupon code page – Check this page on Travelocity to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Orbitz coupon code page – Check this page on Orbitz to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Hotels.com coupon code page – Check this page on Hotels.com to save about 10% on your next Hotel booking.
- Availability: Lots of availability. From end of October until Mar 2015. Except during Christmas and New Years blackout weeks.
- Documentation: Passport for Amsterdam. If you stopover in Istanbul: [read this]
- Departure and Destination Airports: IAH – AMS
- Example Dates: November 5th – November 12th
- Carrier: United or Turkish or KLM/Delta
- Fare Basis Code: United (KLXNC13S) / Turkish (WV33XPC) / KLM (VLXP13US)
- Fare Class: K
- Mile Accrual: 100% (UNITED or KLM) / 0% (TURKISH)
- Stopover component: one free NYC.
- CPM: 8.46 (10069 miles)
- Full Route: IAH – AMS or (IAH – NYC – AMS)
- Open this itinerary on: TripAdvisor Flights, Expedia, Orbitz
Our Affiliate Links:
This site receives referral credit when you use links on our page to open our affiliate’s page. By using our affiliate links when you begin your airfare or hotel search, you are supporting this site. Thanks.
- Airfare + Hotel: Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, CheapTickets.com, Southwest Vacations, Expedia, Hotwire
- Airlines: Iberia, AirFrance, Hawaiian Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLM
- Hotel Search: TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, HotelsCombined.com
- Travel Guides and Accessories: Lonely Planet
Other Useful Links:
- [Bookable Deals] – list all the other great travel deals that are still alive and bookable.
- [Budget Travel] – list all the posts that deal with Budget Travel (filter out all the airfare posts)
Links to our sister publications:
- [Cheap DFW] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Dallas / Ft. Worth (DFW / DAL).
- [Escape ATX] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Austin (AUS) and San Antonio (SAT).
- [Escape Flights] – Airfare and travel deals departing from New York (EWR/JFK/LGA), Los Angeles (LAX/SNA/BUR/LGB/ONT), Chicago (ORD/MDW), Milwaukee (MKE), Seattle (SEA), and Portland (PDX).