[08/18/2015 @ 10:51 AM] Open this itinerary here: Priceline, CheapTickets, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, BookingBuddy.
[08/19/2015 @ 4:37 PM] Deal gone. Congrats to those of you who were able to pick it up.
[08/20/2015 @ 1:19 PM] Deal has been re-added by AA. Not sure for how long. Get it if you missed it!
[08/21/2015 @ 8:12 PM] Fare gone (again). Removing from deal list.
[09/16/2015 @ 7:13 AM] Fare is back (again). It’s been on-and-off for the past month or so.
[10/01/2015 @ 7:30 AM] Fare gone. Removed from deal list.
The prices and details in this post were accurate when this post was last updated (see time-stamps above). Prices and availability will eventually change, given enough time.
American Airlines is offering round-trip flights from Houston (IAH) to Honolulu, Hawaii (HNL) for $488, with a connection. Flights from September to December. Holiday Blackouts apply. Fare is reversible. See the Flight Details section of this post for example dates.
Those of you who follow this blog should know the drill when it comes to a Hawaii flash sale, it will sell out quickly. So make use of the 24-hour free cancellation period to “Hold” your ticket before it sells out.
This deal has been on-and-off for the past few months, which usually doesn’t happen.
Note: The other islands are on sale for about $540, and you can do a multi-island itinerary for that price as well. So if you’re wanting to do Honolulu and also Kona it will cost you the same as visiting just Kona.
Orbitz has a search tool that looks for flights 3-days before and after the dates you’ve selected, you should use it if you have a general idea of when you want to travel, but want to see other prices for other dates close to the ones you’ve selected.
To save the most money, be sure to apply the travel coupon codes available at the bottom of this post. Booking your trip as a Flight + Hotel package will probably save you more money than if you were to book separately. Vacation Packages on Travelocity and Priceline are usually better than what is offered directly by the airline, so be sure to compare them all to get the best price.
Note: OTAs such as Orbitz and Travelocity allow free cancellation without penalty before 10 PM central time the day after you purchase. As deals sell-out or expire quickly, this policy will allow you to “lock-in” the cheap fare while you sort out a plan. Just keep in mind that after 10 PM the next day, you will not be able to cancel without the regular penalty.
United and Delta also allow free cancellations within 24-hours while American only allows you to “Hold” a ticket (without paying) for 24-hours. Keep in mind that once you pay for a ticket on AA.com you can’t cancel it without a change fee or penalty, even if was purchased less than 24-hours ago.
The Department of Transportation doesn’t enforce 24-hour free cancellation on tickets less than 7-days away from departure, so some airlines and OTAs will allow it while some will not. On Orbitz, you can easily see if your ticket allows a free cancellation, just look for “FREE Cancel” next to the price of the ticket.
When you are ready to book your flight or hotel, please use the links on our site to begin your booking process so we receive credit for the referral.
I was able to pull this up on Priceline and Orbitz. It may not be available on Travelocity or Expedia anymore. This screenshot was valid at 7:16 AM on 9/16/15. Prices and availability will eventually change.
- Availability: See Calendar.
- Documentation: Domestic Flight.
- Departure and Destination Airports: IAH – HNL
- Example Dates: (Priceline / Orbitz) Nov 03 – Nov 10 / Other dates: Try using the +/- 3-day search tool on Orbitz.
- Carrier: American
- Fare Basis Code: OD07ZNLH
- Fare Class: O
- Mile Accrual: 100%
- Stopover component: nothing worth mentioning.
- CPM: 6.20 (7870 miles)
- Full Route: IAH-LAX-HNL-LAX-IAH
- Previous Low Price: $386 on 10/11/2013, $470 on 11/26/2014, $522 on 05/12/2015 DL.
- Previous Lowest Price Average: $632
- Open this itinerary on: Priceline, CheapTickets, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, BookingBuddy.
- Link to CheapTickets.com coupon code page – Check this page on Cheaptickets.com to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Travelocity coupon code page – Check this page on Travelocity to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Orbitz coupon code page – Check this page on Orbitz to save about 10% to 20% on your next Hotel or Package booking.
- Link to Hotels.com coupon code page – Check this page on Hotels.com to save about 10% on your next Hotel booking.
Our Affiliate Links:
This site receives referral credit when you use links on our page to open our affiliate’s page. By using our affiliate links when you begin your airfare or hotel search, you are supporting this site. Thanks.
- Airfare + Hotel: Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, CheapTickets.com, Southwest Vacations, Expedia, Hotwire
- Airlines: Iberia, AirFrance, Hawaiian Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLM
- Hotel Search: TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, HotelsCombined.com
- Travel Guides and Accessories: Lonely Planet
Other Useful Links:
- [Bookable Deals] – list all the other great travel deals that are still alive and bookable.
- [Budget Travel] – list all the posts that deal with Budget Travel (filter out all the airfare posts)
Links to our sister publications:
- [Cheap DFW] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Dallas / Ft. Worth (DFW / DAL).
- [Escape ATX] – Airfare and travel deals leaving from Austin (AUS) and San Antonio (SAT).
- [Escape Flights] – Airfare and travel deals departing from New York (EWR/JFK/LGA), Los Angeles (LAX/SNA/BUR/LGB/ONT), Chicago (ORD/MDW), Milwaukee (MKE), Seattle (SEA), and Portland (PDX).