The details on this page were accurate when this post was last updated (see time-stamps above). Prices and availability of this deal can and will change, given enough time. This page contains links to companies that may compensate this site when you click on their link and purchase travel from their website.
There are Nonstop, round-trip flights available from Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL), Maui (OGG), and Kona (KOA) for $398 on many major carriers right now. It’s possible to re-position into Los Angeles (LAX) from Houston (IAH / HOU) on most TUE/WED in January to early-March for $108-$113 via United or Southwest Airlines. If you combine these two separate round-trip tickets, you can get from Houston to Hawaii (HNL / OGG / KOA) for $510 with a connection in Los Angeles. See the Flight Details section of this post for example booking dates.
Let’s run through an example in detail. Here’s what needs to happen.
- You need to book a round-trip flight from Houston to Los Angeles. You’ll want to use the sale to Los Angeles which we covered last month, here: [Nonstop Flights: Houston to/from Los Angeles $107 r/t – United / Southwest].
- You need to book another round-trip flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu.
- You will need to pick up your checked bags in Los Angeles before getting on your flight to Honolulu when you depart, and also in Los Angeles on your return flight to Houston. It may be a good idea to pack light and only use carry-on luggage. If both of your round-trip flights (IAH-LAX and LAX-HNL) are on the same carrier, you may be able to get them to check your bags to the destination. You will need to talk with the agent that is checking your bag, but don’t count on this happening unless you get a sharp United agent and can correctly convey what you’re needing to get done.
- If any of this sounds confusing, then you should skip on this deal and wait for one that doesn’t require a complex itinerary.
Here’s the example, in screenshots. (The LAX flight for this specific example date has sold out, so try Feb 02 – Feb 09 instead.)
So to sum up these two round-trips:
- Flight 1 – Depart Houston at 11:52 AM – Arrive Los Angeles at 1:44 PM.
- Wait – Layover in LAX until 4:15 PM. This is a wait of about 2-hours and 30-minutes.
- Flight 2 – Depart Los Angeles at 4:15 PM – Arrive in Honolulu at 9:45 PM.
- Vacation Time
- Flight 3 – Depart Honolulu at 9:45 PM – Arrive in Los Angeles at 5:00 AM the next morning.
- Wait – Layover in LAX until 7:40 AM. This is a wait of about 2-hours and 40-minutes. Note that this flight is on Feb 3rd. It is common for people to make a mistake here, and schedule this for the wrong day. You must pay attention to your flight departure and arrival times if you wish to do this correctly without problems. If you have an overnight flight, then you better make sure that the LAX-IAH segment of your trip is on the right day. Double check this, then Triple check.
- Flight 4 – Depart Los Angeles at 7:40 AM – Arrive back in Houston at 12:56 PM.
- End of Itinerary.
IMPORTANT: This deal involves re-positioning into and out-of Los Angeles (LAX) by using United or Southwest Airlines to get you there. Understand that you may be using two round-trip tickets on two different carriers. This means that you should give yourself ample layover time to make your connection; I suggest at least 2-hours if you’re not familiar with the airports involved. If you buy travel insurance, make sure that the policy has a “Missed Connections” benefit that covers missed flights due to delays by the carrier.
If you want to see other deals that are still bookable you should use check out the “Bookable Deals” page on our site. It filters out deals that have expired, or have low availability.
Orbitz and CheapTickets have a search tool that looks for flights 3-days before and after the dates you’ve selected, you should use it if you have a general idea of when you want to travel, but want to see other prices for other dates close to the ones you’ve selected.
To save the most money, be sure to apply the travel coupon codes available at the bottom of this post. Booking your trip as a Flight + Hotel package will probably save you more money than if you were to book separately. Vacation Packages on Travelocity and Priceline are usually better than what is offered directly by the airline, so be sure to compare them all to get the best price.
Note: OTAs such as Orbitz and Travelocity allow free cancellation without penalty before 10 PM central time the day after you purchase. As deals sell-out or expire quickly, this policy will allow you to “lock-in” the cheap fare while you sort out a plan. Just keep in mind that after 10 PM the next day, you will not be able to cancel without the regular penalty.
United and Delta also allow free cancellations within 24-hours while American only allows you to “Hold” a ticket (without paying) for 24-hours. Keep in mind that once you pay for a ticket on AA.com you can’t cancel it without a change fee or penalty, even if it was purchased less than 24-hours ago.
The Department of Transportation doesn’t enforce 24-hour free cancellation on tickets less than 7-days away from departure, so some airlines and OTAs will allow it while some will not. On Orbitz, you can easily see if your ticket allows a free cancellation, just look for “FREE Cancel” next to the price of the ticket.
When you are ready to book your flight or hotel, please use the links on our site to begin your booking process so we receive credit for the referral.
- Availability: See Calendar of dates.
- Documentation: Domestic Flight.
- Departure and Destination Airports: IAH – HNL / OGG / KOA
- Example Dates: (Priceline / Orbitz) Feb 02 – Feb 09 / There are other dates, but if you can’t find them on your own, you shouldn’t be doing this. / Other dates: Try using the +/- 3-day search tool on Orbitz.
- Carrier: American
- Fare Basis Code: OA21VSLH
- Fare Class: O
- Mile Accrual: 100%
- Stopover component: nothing worth mentioning.
- CPM: 6.49 (7870 miles)
- Full Route: IAH-LAX-HNL-LAX-IAH
- Previous Lowest Price Average: $675
- Open this itinerary on: Priceline, Orbitz, BookingBuddy, CheapTickets, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia.
Relevant Coupon Codes for Travel:
- Orbitz.com: LINK TO COUPON CODE: Save 15% to 20% Hotels. On Orbitz, scroll page to “Today’s Top Deals” for the coupon-code.
- CheapTickets.com: LINK TO COUPON CODE: Save 15% to 20% Hotels.
- Southwest Vacations: LINK TO COUPON CODES:Various coupons for Southwest Flight+Hotel packages.
Our Affiliate Links:
This site receives referral credit when you use links on our page to open our affiliate’s page. By using our affiliate links when you begin your airfare or hotel search, you are supporting this site. Thanks.
- Airfare + Hotel: Priceline, Travelocity, Bookingbuddy, Orbitz, CheapTickets.com, Southwest Vacations, Expedia, Hotwire
- Airlines: Iberia, AirFrance, Hawaiian Airlines, Lufthansa, TACA, Swiss, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLM
- Hotel Search: TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, HotelsCombined.com
- Travel Guides and Accessories: Lonely Planet
Other Useful Links:
- [Bookable Deals] – list all the other great travel deals that are still alive and bookable.
- [Budget Travel] – list all the posts that deal with Budget Travel (filter out all the airfare posts)
- [Escape Houston on Twitter] – get real time tweets on travel deals such as this one.
- [Subscribe to Escape Houston] – get an e-mail newsletter and notification whenever a new flight deal is posted.
- [Follow Escape Houston on Facebook] – the best way to keep in touch with us, other than this blog.
- [Follow Escape Houston on Google+] – If you are on Google+ please add us to your circle. We have virtually no following there.